Location: North Charleston, South Carolina
Client: Charleston Naval Complex Redevelopment Authority
Quarters A is perhaps the best recognized residential structure on the Charleston Navy Base. Designed in 1904 and built in 1905, the main house is wood framed with approximately 5,200 square feet on two full floors and a third attic floor level. Minor exterior additions made in 1944 and 1945 added the porte-cochere and side porch. The residence served for many years as
the living quarters of the commander of the Charleston Navy Base. The building has fallen into disrepair due to lack of funds for proper maintenance and protection in the years since the Charleston Navy Base was closed due to the Base Realignment and Closure Act which affected the Charleston base in the early 1990s.
The project includes the structural and buildilng envelope inspection, report and cost estimate to stabilize the existing Quarters A.